It has been a while since I have posted here though I have enjoyed reading the various thoughtful and interesting posts that have been offered since.
First of all, thank you all for the responses I have received to date. I have spent months compiling and working through the information collected from my last surveys numbering nearly 400 responses. The amount of assistance has been overwhelming and I am incredibly happy to see such a high level of support.
I also apologize for the level of crossposting but I do wish to get as many of the livejournal communities as I may for there are individuals who belong to only one or another but do not have huge mass membership.
Following is the last survey that I will need for my work. The questions are slightly broader in scope and several will require some thought. There is reason behind each and every one. I have spent the last month and a bit fine tuning the survey and adding questions after conferring with a number of very wise people (both otherkin and human).
I have had some strong interest in the book from several publishers and I am currently looking into which will offer the best price to the buyer as well as the widest possible distribution.
You may answer the survey here OR you may email it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to keep your answers private. Information is not shared beyond the core research unless you answer the "bonus" question.
1. Type of Otherkin?
2. Age (or birthyear) and gender?
3. Do you have any allergies or medical issues (including dental). Usual or unusual.
4. What group(s) did/do you belong to in high school? (jocks, preps, goths, chess club, band, etc). What extracurricular school activities did/do you participate in?
5. What is your personal theory for the basis of the Otherkin identity? (reincarnation or something else?) Where did you come from? How do you believe you got here?
6. Fae-dar. What do you look for or notice in others that tell you that they are Otherkin?
7. Do you believe in a 'soul'. Can you define it? Is a soul a static blueprint or does it evolve/change over time? What impacts a soul in order to effect a change?
8. How important is community? (both offline and online) Are you involved in the community and in what way(s)?
9. Do you have a position, occupation or calling within the community or among the Otherkin? (healer, guardian, warden, etc.) Is there a purpose or reason for your being here?
10. Does the community require elders and guidelines? Does it require more organization or less? What would you change about the community if you could?
11. How do you KNOW what you are? What is it that proves to you that you are an otherkin? What instance, occurence, feeling, or what have you was it that first led you to investigate, to understand and to believe that you are what you are? When you look in the mirror what justifies your belief?
12. How do you deal with the world? Where do you find constant friction in your day to day, specifically dealing with being an Otherkin? How do you maintain your identity?
13. How many books do you read in a month, on average? What is the main genre/topic?
14. How many hours of television do you watch in a week, on average? Any particular channels or shows?
15. How many hours are you online in a week, on average? How many hours are you using the computer for offline purposes in a week, on average?
16. What genre(s) of music do you listen to?
17. How many siblings do you have? What birth-position are you in? [First, last or somewhere in the middle?]
18. Do you have a favourite website dealing with otherkin? Perhaps a site you refer people to or one that you would recommend?
19. Math & Science or English & Art? Where are/were your best marks, where is/was your primary interest?
20. What do you not believe in, with respect to otherkin? Where does are your limits pushed beyond possible belief? What statements or claims do you find yourself unable to accept?
Bonus: If you wish to be quoted in the book, to describe your own awakening or to offer advice to the newly awakened or to share something other then please freely do so. I strongly feel that the book should speak with many voices and not just mine. Please include the name or other identification you would like to affix to the quote.
There will also be specific short surveys available ONLY by email for:
-Those who don’t believe in reincarnation
-[Monotheistic] Judaeo-Christian or Muslim Otherkin
(note that you can ask for a survey from part 1, part 2 and part 3 if they all apply to you: for example, a Hybrid Angel-something Christian, or a Multiple with Elf who doesn't believe in reincarnation)
These final follow up surveys must be requested by emailing email@example.com I will not be posting them anywhere.